I work with your trial team to achieve the best appellate outcome.
– DEBORAH RACE, J.D.
Board Certified Civil Appellate Attorney
Deborah Race is an appellate attorney in Tyler, Texas. Deborah is board certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is licensed to practice in Texas, the 5th and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States. Deborah currently serves on the board of the Women’s Fund of Smith County. She was previously the chair of the Smith County Bar Foundation and the Smith County Bar Association. She is also a member of the Institute of Appellate Practice with the Litigation Counsel of America. She has been honored by her peers with the Award of Excellence from the Smith County Bar Association, the Barbara Culver Clack Award from the Women’s Section of the State Bar of Texas and the Peter Perlman Service Award from the Litigation Counsel of America.
Primary Areas of Practice
State and Federal Appeals
Deborah Race is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is admitted to practice in all Texas appellate courts, as well as in the Fifth and Federal Circuits and the United States Supreme Court. She has handled all types of complex civil appeals over the years, including those involving oil and gas, family law, wills and estates and many other areas of the law. She has also personally presented numerous oral arguments in both state and federal appellate courts. She will work hard to find and present your best arguments to the appellate court both.
Deborah Race is available to assist the trial attorney and often appears at trial with trial counsel in order to perfect the appellate record. She also handles other matters at trial such as summary judgement motions, the jury charge, and motions for a new trial, etc.
Deborah Race has extensive experience in the state courts in Smith and Wood Counties, as well as the federal courts in the Eastern District of Texas. She often appears as local counsel with counsel from other areas who might need assistance navigating the local customs and rules.
Awards & Memberships
- Admitted to practice in Texas, the Fifth Circuit, the Federal Circuit and the United States Supreme Court
- Board Certified Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Selected to Super Lawyers 2007-present
- Council member and past chair Women and the Law Section State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation Board 2022-2025
- Women in the Profession Committee of the State Bar of Texas 2022–2025
- Smith County Bar Association and Lone Star Legal Aid’s Smith County Law Firm of the Year in 2019
- Award of Excellence from Smith County Bar Association 2009
- Peter Perlman Service Award from Litigation Counsel of America 2017
- Barbara Culver Clack Award from Women and the Law Section 2016
- Served on the Board of Disciplinary Appeals 2007–2013
- President Smith County Bar Foundation 2017-2018
- President Smith County Bar Association 2011-2012
- Senior Fellow Litigation Counsel of America
- Charter Member T. John Ward American Inns of Court
- Sustaining Life Fellow Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow ABA Bar Foundation
- Member Smith County Bar Association
- Member Smith County Bar Foundation
- Member Women’s Section of the Smith County Bar Association
- Member Bar Association of the Federal Circuit
- Member Bar Association of the Fifth Circuit
- Board Member and Vice-Chair of Governance Women’s Fund of Smith County
- Board Member Hospice of East Texas Foundation
- Leadership Women (formerly Leadership Texas) Class of 1997
I believe in the judicial system and the right to appeal, but despite specializing in appeals, I realize that sometimes the best thing emotionally and financially for the client is to achieve a resolution before starting the appellate process. The appellate process is often a long and confusing one and my philosophy is to give the client and trial counsel the best idea of what to expect from the appeal. I like to work closely with trial counsel preferably before the trial even starts, but even if after, I appreciate the input of trial counsel in the appellate process. I will work hard to find the best arguments available for your appeal and will try to keep the client and trial counsel informed and updated throughout the process. I believe communication is key to a good relationship with my clients and their trial counsel.
Fax: (903) 630-5760
Wadel Connally Building
112 East Line St.
Tyler, Texas 75702