I work with your trial team to achieve the best appellate outcome.
– DEBORAH RACE, J.D.
Board Certified Civil Appellate Attorney
Deborah Race is an appellate attorney in Tyler, Texas. Deborah is board certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is licensed to practice in Texas, the 5th and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States. Deborah currently serves on the board of the Women’s Fund of Smith County. She was previously the chair of the Smith County Bar Foundation and the Smith County Bar Association. She is also a member of the Institute of Appellate Practice with the Litigation Counsel of America. She has been honored by her peers with the Award of Excellence from the Smith County Bar Association, the Barbara Culver Clack Award from the Women’s Section of the State Bar of Texas and the Peter Perlman Service Award from the Litigation Counsel of America.
Primary Areas of Practice
State and Federal Appeals
Deborah Race is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is admitted to practice in all Texas appellate courts, as well as in the Fifth and Federal Circuits and the United States Supreme Court. She has handled all types of complex civil appeals over the years, including those involving oil and gas, family law, wills and estates and many other areas of the law. She has also personally presented numerous oral arguments in both state and federal appellate courts. She will work hard to find and present your best arguments to the appellate court both.
Deborah Race is available to assist the trial attorney and often appears at trial with trial counsel in order to perfect the appellate record. She also handles other matters at trial such as summary judgement motions, the jury charge, and motions for a new trial, etc.
Deborah Race has extensive experience in the state courts in Smith and Wood Counties, as well as the federal courts in the Eastern District of Texas. She often appears as local counsel with counsel from other areas who might need assistance navigating the local customs and rules.
Awards & Memberships
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- 2019 Smith County Law Firm of the Year presented by the Smith County Bar Foundation and Lone Star Legal Aid
- 2009 Award of Excellence presented by the Smith County Bar Association
- Recipient of Peter Perlman Service Award from the Litigation Counsel of America
- Recipient of the Barbara Culver Clack Award from the Women’s Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Selected to Super Lawyers 2007-present
- Recognized as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Texas 2020
- Served on the Board of Disciplinary Appeals 2007-2013
- Past President of the Smith County Bar Foundation
- Past President of the Smith County Bar Association
- Council member and past chair, Women and the Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member Litigation Counsel of America
- Past Chair of the American Institute of Appellate Practice
- Charter Member of the T. John Ward American Inns of Court
- Member Texas Bar Foundation
- Member ABA Bar Foundation
- Member Women’s Section of the Smith County Bar Association
- Member Bar Association of the Fifth Circuit
- Member Bar Association of the Federal Circuit
- Co-Chair District 2 Nominating Committee Texas Bar Foundation
- Council member, Appellate Section of the State Bar of Texas 1995-1998
- Former member of Grievance Committee District 2A, Panel Chair 2A2
- Board Member and Vice-Chair of the Grants Committee Member of The Women’s Fund of Smith County
- Past Board President of PATH and The Hospice of East Texas
- Former board member Habitat for Humanity of Smith County
I believe in the judicial system and the right to appeal, but despite specializing in appeals, I realize that sometimes the best thing emotionally and financially for the client is to achieve a resolution before starting the appellate process. The appellate process is often a long and confusing one and my philosophy is to give the client and trial counsel the best idea of what to expect from the appeal. I like to work closely with trial counsel preferably before the trial even starts, but even if after, I appreciate the input of trial counsel in the appellate process. I will work hard to find the best arguments available for your appeal and will try to keep the client and trial counsel informed and updated throughout the process. I believe communication is key to a good relationship with my clients and their trial counsel.
Fax: (903) 630-5760
Wadel Connally Building
112 East Line St.
Tyler, Texas 75702